Sunday, April 13, 2008

Mark Ronson and Amy Winehouse - Valerie



I never cared much for Amy Winehouse until I watched her with Mark Ronson on the Brit Awards a few months ago. I thought she gave a very good performance of Valerie and while I can't really say I'm a fan yet, I do like the song.

It has a happy upbeat tempo and it puts me in a good mood when I hear it. Mark Ronson has a way of bringing the best out of artists, so I am still undecided if I like her music or just the song. Although I do also like the song below.




Another thing that helped me start to see a different side of Amy, was when she sung the song above. Her man is in jail and she has made it not secret how much she is missing him. I can relate to the missing your man part!

As I watched her sing this song, I could tell she was singing this song directly to him through the camera. She knew he was watching and she whispered "I love you" to him. It was sweet and sincere, and you could see the tears beginning to well up in her eyes and for a moment I thought she wasn't going to be able to continue with the song, but she did and did a great job with it. Although she didn't seem to know what to do with her arms. So am I an Amy Winehouse fan now? Not sure yet. But I do know I can relate to her humanity and I am hoping she can get her life together and find peace in her heart to avoid becoming another tragic story that we'll read about some day.

No comments: