Sunday, June 15, 2008

Sunday Conversation

As I sit here waiting to get a phone call my man who is deep in the heart of Africa, I am reminded of the conversation I had with some friends earlier today.

This afternoon, I went to play volleyball with some friends and on my way there, while I was there, and on the way back home, I noticed people everywhere I went were talking on phones as they went about their day. People were shopping, eating, walking, driving, and even throwing a Frisbee while talking on the phone.


My friends and I got to talking about this and it led us to ask what is everyone talking about? If aliens from space could listen to our phone conversations, what would they learn from Earth?


Some people questioned whether humans are losing the ability to have quiet time. I personally know several people who just can't sit around quietly reading a book or listening the waves of the ocean. After a few minutes they have to be on the phone chatting with someone.


I wonder what percentage of the worlds population is on a phone at any given time during the day? Some people complain that the Internet, Television, Phones, and all these modern devices that allow us to communicate is ruining humanity. But I don't feel that way. I like the fact that I can sit in a beach side cafe in Ireland, talking to a friend in the US on the phone while chatting with a friend on the Internet who lives in Egypt and be watching a movie produced in Australia all at the same time. It brings the world together and anything that brings the world together is a good thing.

No comments: